Welcome to The Literate Corner
This site consists of book reviews, some anecdotes, recommendations and sometimes my opinion about recent happenings in the world of literature. As an Arts student, I am eager to discover new genres as I have mostly read and also enjoyed YA books. Feel free to have a look to my constantly growing journey in discovering new books, literary styles, unconventional topics and outstanding authors.
- Book review: Love Her Wild by AtticusI had never heard about Atticus before, until I saw this book in a bookshop in Salzburg. While being triggered because of the stunning cover I took a closer look inside. Those poems, some short some more lengthy adressed me in a way poems seldom do. The author’s use of language mixed with the power […]
- The pureness of a pastoral novel: about Daphnis and Chloë by LongusWhat would it be to live without electricity? It is hard to imagine a quick check on Facebook or other social media platform wouldn’t have been a part of our daily life. Only the fields, flower gardens, the never-ending care of a herdsman’s flock and the love (kept secret or admitted) for each other. This […]
- Reading my first modern classic: To the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfThe big family of the beautiful Mrs. Ramsay stays during the summer in their their guest-house on the island Skye. The family Ramsay and a few other guests consisting of the frustrated artist Lily Briscoe, the obsessed student Charles Tansley and the two lovers Paul and Minta are charmed by the motherly love of Mrs. […]
- Book review: Snow Like Ashes by Sara RaaschThe moment when Snow Like Ashes was released in the bookshops, I knew I had to read it. Besides its appealing cover, the story is really worth reading especially for fans of epics and all sort of fantasy tales. Meira, an orphaned girl who has lived her whole life as a refugee wants to save […]
- Does J.K Rowling’s vision about gender issues affects my thoughts about the Harry Potter series?Just as many other booklovers, I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter books but many people changed their thoughts about the series. J.K.Rowling tweeted earlier this year about gender issues and she received many hate comments. Last month, I saw again many post on Instagram from people who declared they won’t read her […]
- Book review: A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia GrayA Young Adult book, a great mixture of science fiction, adventure and romance. Marguerite is the daughter of two scientists who just invented the firebird, a minuscule and high tech necklace which allows the owner to jump into multiple universes and that could of course cause extreme results for the future. When Marguerite’s father is […]
- Book review, book recommendation and personal experience about Eragon by Christopher Paolini.A boy and a peculiar looking stone. This is the beginning of an epic story. Without spoiling too much, the story is about a fifteen year old farm boy who found a polished blue stone which he first wanted to sell but later on decides not to do so. This strange stone turns out to […]
Krijg nieuwe content direct in je mailbox.